Monday 14 March 2022

My Speech To The Deptford Ward Selection Meeting 22 February 2022

My family believed that Deptford’s decline began when the borough lost its civic identity when it was taken over by Lewisham in the amalgamation of 1963.

20 years ago, at the time of the last boundary changes, I argued that one of the new wards should be called Deptford so that its historic importance could be recognised.

So, I am delighted to have this opportunity to be selected to represent Deptford ward, the place where I was born.

I am not seeking selection anywhere else.

Let me start by saying that I didn’t support Jeremy Corbyn.

But I believe that his leadership of the party achieved 3 things.

Firstly, it put an end to the Parliamentary Party’s acquiescence to the Tory Austerity narrative.

Secondly, under John McDonnell the Party moved to embrace a more left of centre economic policy.

Lastly, Corbyn inspired a generation of young people to get politically active.

The challenge now is to keep these people engaged.

We need them to build a party that inspires public confidence so we can win the next General Election.

Then we can pursue the polices that we all care so much about.

Councillors must lead this endeavour.

One way they must do this is to run Labour Councils in a way that demonstrates that Labour can be trusted in government.

I have a track record of building an inclusive business that provides good secure jobs, a safe and supportive work place and promotes diversity.

At Hales gallery our 2 newest artists are trans gender people.

I will continue to champion diversity at the Council, in our community and in the wider world.

My priorities for Deptford are:

Social housing.

Good schools.

Sustainable economic development.

Clean streets.

I will continue to work with colleagues to make sure that Deptford is a place that people can be proud of.

My ambition is to make Deptford and the borough of Lewisham the best place to live, work and learn.

I want people to know that we are on their side.

I want people to know that whatever hopes and aspirations they have for themselves and their families, we share them and are committed to helping them achieve them.

Labour.  On Your Side.

I am ready to play my part in this great mission.

To lead, encourage, help and support.

If you put your trust in me, I won’t let you down.


No comments:

Post a Comment